Are you prepared for survival?
Regardless of what the storm is — severe weather, national emergency, or terrorist attack by foreign governements, or our own — make sure you’re ready for it.
- Buy a weather radio for emergencies
- Develop a disaster plan
- Build a survival kit
- At a minimum, you should have enough food, water and medications for each person to last 3 days.
- Remember: canned and pre-packaged food, medicines and first aid supplies, and bottled water, do expire. You should check the expiration dates on your supplies at least every 6 months. I like to do that on September 1st to be ready for winter and March 1st to be ready for the spring storm season.
- Batteries have a shelf life too! Always have a fresh set of batteries for your flashlight and weather radio.
- Share your plan with family and friends
Here are some great links for explanations of the typical types of disasters and what YOU can do to prepare for them.